A Brief History of Carlton Ware
1890 Wiltshaw & Robinson is formed as a partnership between JF Wiltshaw, JA Robinson and WH Robinson.
1894 Wiltshaw & Robinson’s backstamp changes from the Ribbon mark to the Crown Mark.
1911 Partnership dissolved leaving JF Wiltshaw in sole ownership.
1914 Outbreak of First World War.
1918 First World War ends.
1918 JF Wiltshaw dies at Stoke Railway station. His son, Frederick Cuthbert, takes over the pottery.
1925 First of the embossed designs is produced.
1926 Carlton Ware backstamp changes from the Crown Mark to the Script Mark.
1928 Wiltshaw & Robinson, Carlton Ware produce bone china.
1939 Outbreak of Second World War.
1952 Restrictions on the pottery industry lifted after the war.
1952 Carlton Ware introduces a backstamp with the inclusion of ‘Handpainted’ to reflect lifting of restrictions.
1958 Carlton Ware becomes a Limited company.
1966 Frederick Cuthbert Wiltshaw dies.
1967 Arthur Wood & Company (Longport) Ltd takes over the Carlton Ware factory.
1974 Roger Michell & Danka Napiorkowska of Lustre Pottery approach Carlton Ware to produce Walking Ware.
1987 County Potteries Plc, a holding company, purchases Carlton Ware. Later the same year they are renamed Carlton & Kent.
1989 Carlton & Kent go into receivership - in May the trade name, shape and pattern books and some moulds purchased by Grosvenor Ceramic Hardware Ltd.
1990 Carlton Ware relaunched.
1997 Trade name, master moulds, pattern books purchased by Frank Salmon of FJ Publications.
Compiled by Helen Martin.